Education Benefits for Veterans, Active Duty Military Personnel and Dependents of Veterans
Shenandoah University provides support to students wishing to use education benefits administered by the US Department of Veterans Affairs and the Department of Defense. Students wishing to use their veteran’s benefits while pursuing their educational goals must:
- Apply for their benefits using the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP) at www.vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/default.asp
*Note – If a veteran is transferring benefits to a dependent or spouse, the transfer must be approved by the Department of Defense (DoD) prior to applying with VONAPP.
- Apply for admission to SU.
- Submit a copy of their Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) to SU’s VA Certifying Official. It may take up to six weeks after applying though VONAPP to receive your CoE.
- Apply for financial aid by completing the FAFSA to help with costs not covered by VA benefits.
Students using a GI Bill must complete the online Enrollment Certification Request (ECR) form every semester, after the student is registered. Students will not be certified until this form has been completed.
The VA Certifying Official is the liaison between Shenandoah University and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Certifying Officials are responsible for reporting student enrollment information, such as term dates, credit loads, probation, graduation and tuition to the VA, so that benefit payments may be disbursed.
Students whose benefits come through the Department of Defense or directly through any of the military branches should see their military educational officer for information on how to obtain educational benefits.
Shenandoah University will submit invoices to Military Benefit Programs upon receipt of written authorization. Written authorization should be submitted to Hornet Central.
For additional information, please contact the Registrar’s Office at (540) 665-3499 and ask to speak with a VA Certifying Official or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2017-18 Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) Rates
|Tuition and Fees cap
|Undergraduate Yellow Ribbon
(Granted to first 55 eligible students to turn in their ECR)
|Up to $5,000.00
|Graduate Yellow Ribbon
(Granted to first 15 eligible students to turn in their ECR)
|Up to $3,000.00
VA School Certifying Official
Areas of assistance include:
- Fielding questions about VA educational benefits
- Directing students to the right contact on campus
- Assisting students with completing VA forms
- Assisting students with contacting the VA with specific benefit-related issues
Shenandoah University’s VA School Certifying Official (SCO):
Niccole Gatliff, Wilkins Administrative Building, Room 228, (540) 542-6508,