Oct 26, 2021
Janice Smith, Professor, Associate Dean of Student Affairs and Professor
Health & Life Sciences Building, Office 161, (540) 665-5501, firstname.lastname@example.org
Graduates in the Nurse-Midwifery, Family Nurse Practitioner and Psychiatric Mental-Health Nurse Practitioner roles who have completed the credit requirements are eligible to take the appropriate national certification exams. Certain states’ laws (e.g., West Virginia and Maryland) require certified nurse practitioners to have a bachelor’s degree or BSN in order to obtain prescriptive authority as a nurse practitioner; therefore, students who anticipate practicing in those states should consider earning the BSN from Shenandoah University.
Students in the RN to MSN degree program who plan to earn a BSN must meet the following criteria:
- Earned at least 40 credits of required prerequisites, of which at least 30 credits must be general education (see list below)
- Earned at least 74 nursing course credits (include 14 credits of Bridge courses* and maximum of 16 credits of selected graduate courses**). Students may receive transfer credit for up to 45 credits completed in their previous nursing program.
- Earned a total of 121 credits (If additional courses are needed to complete the 121 required credits, students may take or transfer in additional general education or undergraduate nursing electives).
Students may apply for the BSN option any time during the RN-MSN course of study. The BSN degree will be awarded upon completion of the MSN curriculum.
- N 306 Theory, Reasoning and Research in Nursing Credit(s): 3
- N 401 Human Health Across the Lifespan: Communities Credit(s): 3(2)
- N 319 Ethics and Genomics in Nursing Practice Credit(s): 3
- N 414 Leadership and Management in Professional Nursing Practice Credit(s): 3
Selected Graduate Courses
Total: 16 credits
Suggested courses if additional credits are needed:
Any Undergraduate nursing electives (HP and N) including Emergency Preparedness (N 415).
General Education Courses
- Domain 1 English Composition Credit(s): 3
- Domain 1 Public Speaking Credit(s): 3
- Domain 2 English Literature Credit(s): 3
- Domain 3 Statistics (pre-req to N 306) Credit(s): 3
- Domain 4 Human Anatomy and Physiology I and II with Labs Credit(s): 8
- Domain 4 Microbiology Credit(s): 4
- Domain 4 College or General Chemistry Credit(s): 4
- Domain 5 Moral Reasoning (pre-req to N 414) Credit(s): 3
- Domain 6 Sociology (pre-req to N 401) Credit(s): 3
- Domain 6 Psychology Credit(s): 3
- Domain 7 Individual and the World Credit(s): 3